Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reflection


            English has never been a “difficult” class for me. However, I always find ways to improve.  In this class I have improved greatly in the poetry analysis section.  In previous courses I haven’t paid much attention to analysis because I didn’t think it was important.  Now that I understand what it means to analyze a poem or a piece of writing, I have gotten much better. 
            There were some readings in this class I didn’t find helpful.  The Sam Hamill and Carolyn Forche readings were a couple of examples.  I did enjoy reading a few of the Poetry of Witness poems.  It definitely made me think and ask more questions than normal.  Reading all of the blog posts about what analysis meant to the blogger, helped me as well. 
            Not only has my ability for analysis increased but I believe my writing has benefited as well.  It takes practice and trial and error to improve writing.  Some have a natural talent to make papers flow.  In the past my papers have been straight forward, to the point and boring.  In the last year I have learned a lot about my writing style.  I have had many different English teachers and their style of writing, and even personal views, have affected my grades.  I had an English professor in the fall who didn’t agree with any of my personal views or morals so he gave me very low grades; it didn’t matter whether my writing was up to par.  Even though that doesn’t seem like a good experience, it pushed me to try harder and make my writing better.  Through this class my writing has done nothing but improve and continue to grow stronger with each edit from the professor.  Feedback has been the greatest teacher of all. 

I found a fun, helpful list of 10 simple things you can do to improve your writing.

4 comments:

  1. It is good to always be looking for ways to improve one's writing. I think that with each course and with each professor, there is something new to apply to your writing. Unfortunately, you had a bad experience with your previous professor. That is simply wrong that he graded you based on personal opinion. I agree with you, true feedback from a professor is one of the best things she/he can teach us students. I appreciate good criticism when it comes to my writing. It is the only way to improve. Congrats on completing Comp II!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your reflection and made me realize the I did not answers some of the questions correctly. You have really good points like, it is important to find ways to improve.I also did not think analysis was important. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reflection was very fluid, strait and to the point. It definitely expresses how you feel you write. The Blogs have been extremely helpful to me as well. I think analysis is one of the more difficult tasks in writing. I think it is underestimated by most. Your reflection points out somethings that I have never even thought of so it was a good and helpful read. Good luck with everything you go on to study in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Briana,
    I have to agree with you that I never really thought of English and how it can show you to interpret things such as poetry and I also never really saw the importance until taking this course. It can show you that taking your perspective of anything and making it into a paper can change the whole outlook of a writing. I also learned the difference between summary and analysis in this course and it has shown me a whole new way of writing papers. This course was great for showing your own personal opinions and let you think freely.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete